CHECK ME OUT AND CHILL
Me telling you just how great I think I am while I mince about on an apartment roof on Fichtestraße in Berlin, trying to look cool…
I’m a freelance motion designer, from Dublin, living in Bristol since 2004.
I make downright killer motion graphics, 3D visuals, logo animations, explainer vids and other assorted moving imagery for web, TV and film, all lovingly, skillfully and painstakingly done with a combination of After Effects & C4D alongside Photoshop, Illustrator and Premiere and whatever else is to hand on PCs and Macs with equal strength, style & savoir faire.
Software I use & assorted stuff I’m good at:
- I’m fluent with After Effects for motion graphics, compositing and animation & Premiere for editing & adding sound effects.
- I’m pretty goddamn good with Photoshop & Illustrator, mainly for chopping the shit out of supplied assets, getting sexy with the cloning stamp and wailing about grouped elements in Illustrator.
- I’m mostly able to grapple Cinema 4D into submission, mostly…
- I’m familiar on a “yeah I know him to see, seems cool” basis with Syntheyes.
- I get on down with my bad self pushing buttons for fun on DSLRs and standing around for hours while timelapses happen.
- I occasionally dabble with light painting.
- I often put my film photos in the wrong chemicals, which generally looks interesting, providing I haven’t knocked the back off the camera.
Needless to say, I bring a shitload more good stuff to the table, aside from my rugged, handsome face, athletic frame, engaging, humour-filled charisma, unfeasibly large head & comedy accent. Getting involved with a wide range of clients, jobs and roles gives me more skills and experience to draw upon to help make some utterly cool stuff…
So why Bristol?
The initial plan, now changed, was to move to Australia on a permanent residency visa, but I had no pro-level work experience and nothing was going right for me back in Dublin. I was stuck working in bars and restaurants while my peers were leaving me eating their dust, so it was time to do something to get out of that vicious circle. London or Bristol were the best options and Bristol won out.
Soon enough after moving over back in 2004, I realised just exactly how much I utterly sucked at all things design & media related, so I kept plugging away at online design & motion graphics tutorials, knocking on doors, getting to know people. Eventually, it all started to click and I was at last able to quit the final restaurant job for good.
I spent my early career bumbling as an intern/junior in graphic and digital design companies, basically a clueless noob graduate clown, doing anything that came along for a while, before switching to working in the gallery in live TV. I managed to turn that role into promo editing & motion graphics design, alongside being assistant vision mixer/director for a few years. I also built up a wealth of experience behind the lens using miniDV/HDV cams and DSLRs from shooting and editing skate videos for a range of international board and shoe companies and these days occasionally help out Audiophiles TV for their Bristol Music TV Show feature articles.